[CQ-Contest] SO2R vs SO1R

Bill Turner w7ti at dslextreme.com
Sun Jul 29 17:13:10 EDT 2001

On Sun, 29 Jul 2001 14:13:00 -0400, Dick Green wrote:

>So, once again, the categories and rules are pretty good as they stand.

I agree with many of your observations, but not the last one, above.

It really comes down to what it is you want to achieve in a contest.  If
you want to maximize the score, SO2R is the way to go, no doubt about
it.  IMO, I think it's more fun to take an "average" station, whatever
that is, and see how well you can do with it.  That is what WRTC
attempts to do, and I have the greatest respect for their approach.

What if WRTC said "Ok, guys, you can each set up your stations however
you want, and may the best team win".  It COULD be done that way, but it
would lose all interest for me.  When a WRTC winning team emerges, they
are indeed the best.

Here's what I'd like to see happen with the classes:

Class WRTC (or call it what you like):
1.  One radio.  When the transmitter is on, the receiver is off.
2.  The receiver must receive only one channel at a time.  No
    multiplexing, no spectrum displays.
3.  All antennas for 20/15/10 must have no more than 10 dbi gain.
4.  All antennas for 160/80/40 must have no more than 4 dbi gain.
5.  Only one antenna per band - no switching among separate antennas.
6.  The antenna may be rotated.
7.  Maximum power out of the transmitter is 100 watts.
8.  Unlimited band changes.
9.  No spotting assistance or self-spotting.
10.  One operator.

Class Unlimited:
1.  Anything goes, within the rules of your license class.  Multiple
transmitters, multiple operators, anything.

And there could be QRP divisions within the above classes.

This not only simplifies the classes we have today, but those who wish
to compete on a level playing field in terms of hardware could, those
who wish to push technology to the max could do that too.  Something for
everybody.

It all goes back to my original reason for posting:  to make competition
fairer and more balanced.  I have NEVER had the intention of
discouraging SO2R in any way.  I even do it myself from time to time.

Comments are welcome.

73, Bill W7TI

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com