[CQ-Contest] Not *just* a FD thought.....

K5ZM k5zm at home.com
Mon Jun 25 21:59:46 EDT 2001

But FD is the right place to start, and I think a 'free training =
station' is a great idea. I was going to keep silent  (as to why I think =
this is would work)  and not fuel any possibile fire, but sense I can =
already smell the burning asbestos (hmm.. an oxymoron?).. I've decided =
to toss in my 2=A2.

Throughout the FD event, I heard several occourances of what I can only =
describe as 'improper exchange practices'. By the time Saturday night =
rolled around, it dawned on me that I've also heard this same phenomena =
during gigs like the 10 meter contest as well!=20

Here's what I'm talking about:=20

I am in S&P mode, tuning up the band.
I hear a station calling 'CQ Field Day.....'
We haven't worked him on this band, so I answer 'K7**'
And here is what happens:

CQer: 'K7**,  go ahead' (sometimes, it was just 'K7**...'!)
Me, wondering if perhaps he's unsure of my call: 'K7**'
CQer: same thing again!
OK.. I'm catching on. I give him ' W#xxx, 2A OR from K7** '
Then... THEN he gives me my report!

I can't tell you how may times I ran into that scenario. In the spirit =
of emergency preparedness and EFFECTIVENESS, just how can these =
unecessary extra 'overs' be... well, 'effective'??

Yes, I know: I thought to myself 'Lighten up, man. It's FD'. But as I =
said, I've heard this exact scenario in 2 or 3 of the last big 'tests as =
well.

Yep, a free training station sounds good to me.

OK... turn up the heat ;)

73,=20

Ian, K5ZM @ K7AW (My opinions, and not necessarily those of the entire =
OHDCC).=20