[CQ-Contest] Single op NOT assisted

Randy Thompson, K5ZD k5zd at ma.ultranet.com
Thu Mar 1 05:47:55 EST 2001

Help me draw the line here.

Packet through the Internet is not allowed.
Checking web sites through the Internet is OK.

Given the arguments that many have presented, it looks like anything other
than "spots" is OK.  So does this mean I can send talk messages to other
people on Packet or via the Internet?  Just to check the weather at their
location (in case I don't have cable and can't get the Weather channel) or
to see if the band is open for them yet?

Can I ask them if they worked a JA on 160?  It wouldn't be a spot.

Can I ask them what time they worked Europe on 160 the night before?

Can I ask who they worked in Europe on 160 in the contest?

Can I ask them to send me their .brk file while the contest is still going
on?

As my probability professor put it the other night, there are an infinite
number of numbers between true and false.

Randy, K5ZD

PS - What is the real definition of a "spot" in the radio contesting
context?

Hey Bob - You forget to mention electricity!!  Not many guys making their
own AC these days...

 > Oh, and of course, you know those Japanese companies that built
 > your radio?
 > well that is ALSO a form of assistance, because only a few of us would be
 > able to build and use them if we couldn't buy them.  So that means:
 >
 > NO FACTORY BOUGHT RADIOS OR ANTENNAS OR AMPS OR EQUIPMENT OR CABLES OF ANY
 > KIND
 > NO OPERATING CHAIRS (unless you build it yourself)

Pretty bold statement for a guy who doesn't climb his own towers.

 > I have left out a few, but you get the point.  Anything can be taken to
 > absurd levels.
 >
 > Why can't we have simple agreement on the point that we  ALL use
 > and benefit
 > by technology and you can't outlaw one type without being logically
 > inconsistent about all the other types that we ALL employ in EVERY station
 > in EVERY contest.

By this logic, we should allow everyone to use everything.

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com