[CQ-Contest] Re: Single op NOT assisted

Doug Smith W9WI w9wi at w9wi.com
Sun Mar 4 09:37:15 EST 2001

 > From: "Dale L Martin" <kg5u at hal-pc.org>
 >  > Let me suggest a standard for discussion: "Single operators are
 >  > not allowed to use outside assistance during or after the contest in
determining the
 >  > identities of stations, their exchanges, or the frequencies on
 >  > which they're operating."
 >
 > "outside assistance" -- what about assistance on the air during the
 > contest...as in the example Richard/K5NA posted regarding the op telling
 > another op about a mult up the band?  That's not what I (and possibly
 > others) would construe or interpret as "outside assistance," which is more
 > along the lines of periodicals, callbooks, bulletins, spots, etc.

I guess I fail to see the difference between learning a needed mult's
whereabouts via packet radio on 446.2MHz and learning it via CW on 3540KHz.
Either way, someone other than the operator is providing the operator with
information about the frequency on which a station is operating.

I can't argue with your wording.  Personally I think it's an unnecessary
change, really differing from mine only in also prohibiting the
*solicitation* of information.  (in my wording, you can solicit the
information as long as you either don't get it or don't use it - so why
bother!)

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66