[CQ-Contest] Watch that main radio while SO2R...

Mike Gilmer - N2MG n2mg at contesting.com
Mon Mar 5 08:45:34 EST 2001

On Sun, 04 March 2001, Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

 > Interesting incident during the ARRL Phone on 15m early this morning.
 >
 > Decided it was time to do some CQing.  Found a completely open frequency.
 > (nothing but band noise)  Asked whether it was in use.  Response: 2 seconds
 > of band noise.  Ask again.  Again, response: 2 seconds of band noise.
 >
 > Call CQ & begin running.  (unfortunately not at a very good rate<g>)  About
 > 5 minutes later, a W1 shows up & starts insisting it's his frequency.

This even happens to W2s. <g>

I had this done "to me" by a certain K1 powerhouse.  I had already worked a
couple of guys and had a small run going when he came back and told me
"that's the way it works" (I wrote that down).  It was on 10m (where
there's lots of room) and he had the horsepower to clean my clock (at least
13 more elements) so I left.  Had it been 15m or 20m I would have stayed
just to make some noise.

"Too much" SO2R might even become a disadvantage as 10m and 15m close down
over the next few years.

- Mike N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com