[CQ-Contest] re: Casual contesters...

Jim Idelson k1ir at designet.com
Mon Mar 19 08:19:40 EST 2001

Kenny,

Really interesting analysis. Now, take it off on a tangent. What is the
average
percentage of calls in each year's log that shows up in the published results?
Certainly, you don't make it out of the "casual" category if you don't
submit a
score. How could increases in score submissions be achieved? How about a prize
drawing for anyone who submits a log with one or more legal qso's? Getting
people to submit scores doesn't take them out of the "casual" category, but if
they know they're submitting a score for the raffle, is it possible that they
might try for a few more qso's? And, what would be bad about attracting a
whole
bunch more ops for a few qso's each? That would make it more interesting,
adding more verifiable unique callsigns. As I think about it, score
submissions
might increase if every entrant were guaranteed to receive a copy of the
results. If I'm a casual contester and I don't subscribe to CQ,
particularly as
a DX station, I might not send in my score because I'll never even see the
results. Maybe there's potential for an increase in submissions if sponsors
could deliver pdf or printed results to every entrant.

Ready! Fire! Aim!

73,

Jim K1IR

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com