[CQ-Contest] RE: Bill, what did "IS" mean?

David Rich kg0us at swbell.net
Sat Mar 31 12:32:33 EST 2001

I think the original complaint was that a certain individual allegedly asked
several operators to spot him during the contest.  Some seem to think that
it is
a violation of the rules and that this individual should be disqualified.
Looking at the rules below, a person should be disqualified if using
"non-amateur means" to self spot their station.  While I am not necessarily in
support of this individuals actions,  it seems that this individual, by asking
other operators to spot him, used "amateur means" rather than "non-amateur
means" to get spotted.  He allegedly asked other amateur radio operators to
spot
him which is technically an amateur means to solicit additional contacts
just as
is calling CQ Contest.  The amateurs he asked were free to decide whether
or not
to spot his station.

There were other allegations that this individual used other callsigns to spot
his station.  If so, this would be a violation of the rules.  However, you
better have good solid proof before pursuing this allegation.

Perhaps for next year the CQ rules committee should added a statement saying
that one can not ask other amateurs to spot ones station during a contest.

73,
Dave KG0US

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com