[CQ-Contest] Old dog, new trick

Jimmy Weierich kg2au at stny.rr.com
Sun May 13 11:54:43 EDT 2001

Hi Bill,

Yes, large solar flares can cause radio blackouts. However, C-class
flares are not large enough to cause blackouts. It takes a large
M-class or an X-class flare to cause such blackouts.

Yesterday, propagation was negatively affected by a coronal stream
(energetic particles) from a large coronal hole on the sun. The K
index is the right thing to look at, but you need a source that shows
it throughout the day, not just at one time.

This URL shows the K index in three hour increments (as well as being
the source of the solar flux chart you referenced):

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/today.html

You can click on any of the charts to get a larger chart with an
explanation of the data it depicts.

The "Estimated Kp" chart shows that the K index was at 6 from
0900-1500 UTC and at 4 from 1800-2100 UTC. These K index readings
reflect the effect of the above mentioned coronal stream that is the
most likely cause of the poor propagation you observed.

Note that the K index shown here is a Kp, or planetary index, derived
by averaging magnetometer measurements taken at a number of locations
around the globe. The actual K index at your location  and along the
path you want to use may be higher or lower than the average and thus
the propagation conditions you experience may be better or worse than
the Kp suggests.

Here is another URL that gives an excellent daily analysis of solar
and propagation conditions:

http://www.dxlc.com/solar/index.html

You can learn a lot about the sun and how it affects propagation by
exploring the links on the above two pages and the links that you
will find on those pages, etc, etc.

Best regards,
Jimmy

--