[CQ-Contest] Re: [WRTC2002 0078] Re: Why make it harder?

Ward Silver hwardsil at WOLFENET.com
Thu May 17 09:36:39 EDT 2001

> Multiop results are an important indicator of teamwork which is essential
> in WRTC.  Overall, I think the CCF criteria have been very well thought out
> and are a good model for clubs worldwide to follow in making their selections.
>
>                                                   73,  Bill  W4ZV

I, too, think the criteria are OK, although as a West-Coastie, couldn't
care less about WPX and IARU as serious contests.  West Coast WW
competition is regional only as no West Coast operator has won SOAB HP or
LP in over a decade, either mode, regardless of skill or station
capabilities.

Eventually, given the size and propagational disparities across the NA
continent, I believe that there will be a system of regions created in
which the various organizations select their own top operators based on
criteria appropriate to that region.  It might behoove us as a country of
contesters to consider that possibility.

Remember, too, that WRTC competitions are low-power, Jack-be-nimble
Jack-be-quick contests.  If you aren't comfortable without stacked
monobanders on a 199-foot tower fed by a hot Alpha and frequencies more
than 10 kHz from the band edge make you nervous, then you probably won't
do well in the WRTC format :-)  It is a tribute to the previous champs
that they do well in both Big Gun and Run-and-Gun environments.

73, Ward N0AX

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com