[CQ-Contest] T/S 2nd radio antenna restrictions

k8cc k8cc at mediaone.net
Mon May 21 01:00:36 EDT 2001

At 05:08 PM 5/20/01 -0700, Ken Widelitz wrote:
>For the Tribander/Single Wire WPX category, can the operator use single
>wires for the 2nd radio on 10, 15, 20 meters? I see the rules specifically
>state only ONE tribander may be used on 10,15, 20 meters. Does the rule mean
>you can't use a 2nd radio on 10/15 10/20? Or just that you can only use
>dipoles on the 2nd radio?

Ken,

My reading of the rules is that any station in the TS category is allowed a
tribander, and a single wire antenna for the low bands, and that's
it.  This is a unique characteristic of the TS class - no other class
restricts equipment or antennas other than the maximum radius rule.

It would seem to me that as long as you stick to these limitations, you can
use these antennas in any configuration.  For example, the single wire can
be fed with open wire line and a tuner to allow the second radio access to
either of the "tribander bands" not in use.

Unfortunately, I can't conceive of a way to use the tribander on one of the
low bands (while the single element is used on the other low band) but I
don't think this is much of a problem.  A single op in WPX on CW is losing
the contest if he's using up op time on 80M.  So the run radio gets either
the tribander or the wire (for 40M) while the mult radio gets the antenna
not being used by the run station.

If the dipole is already coax fed, perhaps a coax-to-coax tuner would allow
using it on the other high bands, but I would not run a KW into it.

I believe this is all in the intent of the rules.

73,

Dave/K8CC

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com