[CQ-Contest] Penalty Blather!

N2TK n2tk at earthlink.net
Mon May 21 11:12:56 EDT 2001

Hi Gene. I agree with you that one aspect of the UBN is that it reflects
your copying errors. What it doesn't reflect is a mistake by the station you
just worked. As 8 others were listening (this was near the end of the
contest and it was a double mult, that is why they were listening) to the
speaker with my QSO in a contest can attest to, I had a solid confirmation
for a new mult. But according to my UBNs, I was not in the other stations
log. Not sure what the other station did, maybe hit the wrong key, but
whatever. I don't think a general statement should be made that the UBN
reflects You and Your copying errors. There are other issues here.

Another point, if you are trying to break a record that was made under the
old rules - paper logs, no UBN checks, etc. are we to assume that there were
no errors under the old rules, by your statement below? Or should we be
trying to compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges? Should older
records made under a different set of rules be so noted? Should the records
start over when the rules change? Should there be a set of records for each
set of rules?

Tony