[CQ-Contest] Penalty Blather!

Bob Naumann - N5NJ n5nj at gte.net
Tue May 22 06:19:55 EDT 2001

Not necessarily!

Before this gets out of hand, the only time you would lose a QSO if the
other guy makes a mistake is if the mistake is not to log your call or
something even slightly similar to your call.

Here's an example from the V26B log:

2  N ly40zz(2037)  v26ew(1)b

We worked LY40ZZ and for some reason, they logged V26EW.  We did not lose
credit for this, but they did as V26EW is not a good call.

Here's another:

215  N sp2fgo(463)  v27b(2)b

Again, SP2FGO logged V27B, we did not lose credit for the QSO.

And another with OM6T:

 964  N om6t(1355)  vq6b(6)b

These are 3 clear examples of the other guy making a mistake, and no credit
lost because of it.

The interesting part of this is that these reports show that 2 stations
logged V27B and 6 stations logged VQ6B.

Now, there are some mysterious ones, like this one:

 46 -N w1fj(2695)

We logged W1FJ, and we're not in his log, nor is there anything even close
to V26B in his log although 2695 others managed to get logged properly.

If you have examples and proof of real errors in your log checking from
CQWW, send the information to:

Questions at CQWW.com