[CQ-Contest] Don't repeat my STUPID mistake!

Jeff Maass jmaass at columbus.rr.com
Wed May 30 14:25:32 EDT 2001

PCs keep lousy time, and I finally got fed up.

Now I use a program that keeps my PC clock synchronized to the
proper time via SNTP on the internet. Since I have a cable modem,
I have it configured to check and correct the time every 15 minutes.
It can be configured to correct the time when you first connect
to the 'net, or in many other combinations (or, on request).

The one I use is called "Dimension 4" and is freeware, available
from http://www.accessone.com/~thinkman/index.htm.

You can also find it via c/net downloads at:
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10106-100-4407346.html

(As an aside, having the correct time on your computer is important.
I sat in a big DX pileup on 10 mters at the end of the ARRL SSB DX
Contest this year, attempting to work a new multiplier with my low-
powered station. With five minutes remaining in the contest, the DX
station announced that the contest period was over, and refused to
work anyone else! I kept trying to convince him that there was time
remaining, but his computer clock told him that the contest had ended,
and he would not be moved!)

73,
 Jeff Maass       jmaass at columbus.rr.com     Located near Columbus Ohio
         USPSA # L-1192       NROI/CRO    Amateur Radio K8ND
    Maass' IPSC Resources Page:  http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass
Circleville USPSA/IPSC: http://home.columbus.rr.com/jmaass/pcsiipsc.htm

Administrative requests:  cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com