[CQ-Contest] Re: [Dx] Lets change phonetics

James Headrick headrick at radar.nrl.navy.mil
Mon Nov 5 21:05:07 EST 2001

There have been a number of comments and anecdotes on miss-read letters in
call signs.  It may be useful to hear from the other side of the
problem.  Often I have difficulty in identification of a letter in a call
sign,  probably due to restricted high frequency range in hearing.  Since
most of my contest operating is search and peck, I used to just give up on
answering a CQ when the callsign could not be deciphered.  But, I have
found the request -  "please give me your call slowly" generally provides a
good copy.

Of course everyone wants to make as many contacts as possible and the
hurried CQ indicates the feeling of urgency,  but a slow and careful
rendition of the phonetic call sign will do wonders for understanding and
accuracy.  This is in contrast the CW accuracy problem when the
signal-to-noise ratio is low and there are frequent noise crashes, QRQ is
in order, that is several fast repeats are far better than sending very slow.

73  Jim  w3cp

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com