[CQ-Contest] Re: [TowerTalk] 80m Dipole ssb/cw switching

Tom Rauch W8JI at contesting.com
Wed Nov 14 18:59:40 EST 2001

> A number of years ago, K7GCO tried to popularize the concept of the
> "single knob tuner" for such applications.  Basically, you cut the 80M
> dipole below the band, then insert a transmitting variable capacitor
> in series with the coax in the shack.  The capacitor is used to null
> out the capacitive reactance exhibited at the operating frequency -
> the higher you go in the band, the capacitance is reduced so the
> transmitter sees a pure resistance.

I spent some time modelling that idea, and using a Smith chart it
really doesn't work very well...at least as he described the concept.
The SWR does not improve that much, and the voltages are
beyond the limits of a receiving variable and it requires over 1000pF
of capacitance. The major problem is the feedline between the
antenna and the tuning cap is only 1/2 wl at one frequency, and so
it is an impedance transformation problem.

As I recall the SWR was well over 4:1 on the upper end of the band
with a dipole cut for 3500 kHz with the capacitor optimized. You
would have to tune the dipole at the low end of 80 meters, or use a
series L/C system to add inductive reactance to move something
lower. A series L/C system I carefully looked at was also
somewhat useless, apparently the whole concept is unworkable.

The most simple system is just to build a "fat" dipole. If you fan the
ends of a dipole out several feet with a spreader, it is quite easy to
cover the CW and SSB areas without any type of mess. A cage
dipole would also work.

If you are willing to tolerate some loss, Frank Witt AI1H has a
ARRL Antenna Handbook article on a broadband dipole with
multiple stubs.

I measured a coaxial dipole and found it was virtually identical to a
thick dipole, and stubs model very poorly. Obviously the Handbook
and others are correct when they say simple 50 ohm stubs do not
cancel significant amounts of reactance. I measured virtually
identical results to systems described in the ARRL Antenna
Handbook, with real antennas I built.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI at contesting.com

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com