[CQ-Contest] Re: [TowerTalk] 80m Dipole ssb/cw switching

Ragnar Otterstad otterstad at enter.vg
Thu Nov 15 12:02:54 EST 2001

> Another efficient method is feeding the 1/2 wave dipole with open wire and
using a Johnson Matchbox. This
> gives maximum frequency flexibility.

That is right--it's a simple and effective antenna.  But how in
the heck do you make one work without getting RF into
everything.  I used a tuner and 80 meter antenna for years,
working lots of dx, but with the advent of computers, I had so much RFI I had
to go to coaxial antennas.  And I still have RFI problems in the shack.  73
Tom W7WHY

Very simple, Tom.
You leave the ATU outside, just below the antenna  ( in a pretective cover of
some sort) and have just the coax into the house. This requires some walking
back and forth with band change, which is good for blood circulation etc !
I have done this very succesfully with a 2x10 meter dipole. At one time I tied
the feders together as a T-antenna and worked BY1PK on 80m CW, with some
counterpoises on the ground.

73

Rag Otterstad    LA5HE also JW5HE OZ8RO

located in Telemark - home of skiing.