[CQ-Contest] 2003 CQ 160 Change Coming

Eric Scace eric at k3na.org
Wed Nov 21 22:52:30 EST 2001

Bill --

   I'm not sure your counter-proposal works at all in the Pacific rim.  As proposed, the contest would start 1 hour before local
sunset in Japan on Japan's Friday evening.  But that's still Thursday night in Hawaii/Alaska and late Thursday night/early Friday
morning on North/South America west coasts.  So that means W6, for instance, all get to listen to JAs operate the contest long
before they can join in.  Likewise, all the JA's finish up at 1 hour past sunrise on the Sunday morning... but that means there will
be no JAs to work on Sunday evening for North/South America.

   Similarly, USA east coast gets to work VK/ZL only one night of the contest: Friday night/Saturday morning... which is Saturday
night/Sunday morning in Australia.

   Personally, I think the 00z-00z format being proposed is OK.  Everyone except the Far East/VK/ZL will work a little bit of their
1st night, all of their 2nd night, and a bit of their 3rd night.  With a 30-hour time limit, we all get 9 hours off each intervening
daylight period.  I think it is a reasonable balance.

-- Eric R3/K3NA (where 00z is 3am!)