[CQ-Contest] SS, Sunday, and Some Suggestions

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Fri Nov 23 09:55:44 EST 2001

Based on the scores and comments following the SSB SS it appears that it was
a good weekend and a good contest.

Unlike reports after the CW weekend, there were few comments about how bad
things were on Sunday.  From the SSB perspective SS does not seem to be
broken.

The CW SS does have problems, partly because we have become so good that we
work just about everybody long before the contest ends, and partly because
just about everybody in the  CW SS is eligible for QCWA membership.  From my
CW logs, which admitedly may be skimming the cream of the CW operator crop,
I'd estimate that 80%+ of the checks were from 1976 or before. OTOH on SSB I
my check (64) was among the older ones.

With a CW requirement of 5 wpm (and probably soon heading down from there),
like it or not, things are not about to get better. People getting into ham
radio aren't doing so because they want to operate CW.

But there are still enough people who like CW, and CW contesting, to keep CW
SS viable for a good while longer.
To do that we need to reconsider some long standing rules that have become
counterproductive.

As you may be aware, for a number of years I have been operating CW SS under
the self-defined cagegory of "single op multi station".  This means I operate
4 or 5 hours from each of 5 or 6 different stations.  I don't show up high in
the listings, but I have a great time. For me the contest gets better as the
weekend goes on. I have never had a person complain that I gave them 5 qsos
during the weekend instead of just one.

This year my contest club was making a serious effort at winning the medium
club competition.  A few people questioned me about whether my using up 5
entries was the best use of club resources, vs. doing a more conventional
operation and taking only one.  There was also a push in the club to do
multiop efforts to maximize the points per entry. Many of those who operated
at the multis have at least a small home station, which probably did not get
on the air to be a source of qsos for others.

Time will tell if I did the right thing for the club. But I am sure that I
did the right thing for making CW SS better for everyone else.  And it led me
to think about several rules that may discourage people from doing the small
time operations that can make a difference in activity.

What needs to be changed?

1. Club categories should be based on the number of members participating
rather than the number of entries. My participation, whether from one or five
stations, should count as one member's effort. Likewise if 4 guys do a
multiop, that should count as four people's effort. (The rules in place
concerning newbies at a multiop should remain). If a guy does some time at a
multiop and goes home to make some more qsos, that extra effort should not
count toward pushing the club out of its class.  We should encourage the
maximum number of stations on the air, not the maximum operator/station ratio.

2. The restriction on operation of a transmitter under more than one callsign
(General Rule 3.5), and of use of more than one callsign from a given
location (General Rule 3.3), should be relaxed or eliminated.  Some
restriction on "manufactured contacts" should remain. But if someone wants to
start over with a new call, it should be encouraged so long as they work
people on a non-discriminatory basis. (Not just work their own club members,
for example).

The use of a second call has potential for abuse, such as using it to get or
hold a frequency during off times. Therefore it might be appropriate that
once a new call is used, a transmitter and/or operator may not use any
previous calls.

3.  The requirement that both a station owner and operator must be club
members (General Rule 8.5.1) should changed so that only the operator must be
a club member. The present rule is already easily circumvented by simply
using the operator's call rather than the owner's call.

There are a lot of stations out there that would be fine SS stations,
especially for a part time effort, but whose owners have little or no
interest in joining a contest club. (Think DXers or Old Timers). If a club
member can find such a station and put it on the air in SS, it would help
everyone in the contest. There is no reason not to credit the operator's club
with the points the operator generates by doing so.

The number of CW operators isn't growing, and there is no reason to expect
that it ever will. If we want to keep CW SS interesting, having some guys
making multiple qsos will be needed.  At the same time these changes would
not have a radical effect on SS, as would the drastic solutions (e.g. qsos
once per band) that have been suggested by others.

If only 10 guys per call area activated an extra station - there's another
hundred qsos waiting to be worked.  Why are we waiting?

73  -  Jim  K8MR

Operator of N8TR, AC8E, K8MR, W8AJ, and K8AZ in the 2001 CW SS.

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com