[CQ-Contest] Re: Topband: FCC Inquiries Focus on 160-Meter Band Plan

2 2 at vc.net
Thu Oct 4 10:53:06 EDT 2001

>        Note that ARRL's current 160 Bandplan approved by their Board of
>Directors in July is for narrowband modes only below 1843 instead of
>below 1830 as stated in this release...I presume ARRL will correct their
>release.
>
>                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV
>
>P.S.  Especially note the following:
>
>"Where interference results from band plans not being followed,"
>Hollingsworth continued, "the Commission expects substantial justification
>to be shown by the operators ignoring the band plans."

//  It seems to me that there is plenty of room to find a clear spot.  I
have often heard the argument made that "we were using this frequency
yesterday and the day before, so you guys don't have a right to use it
today - even if it was vacant when you started using it".   Half of the
3.5 - 4 MHz band is pretty much a vast wasteland - thanks to Newington's
band plan.  My guess is that this Topband ruckus is mostly a turf war
between over-assertive males.

-  cheers