[CQ-Contest] succeeding on a budget/W4AN

Frank Norton KB8XU franknorton at home.com
Tue Oct 2 21:56:42 EDT 2001

W4AN makes a wonderful point!  I think very often, why am I paying to read
about all the HUGE DOLLAR stations?  Yes I would love to have one and if I
did I would love to have an article written about how wonderful my new
station is.  However, is that what we are paying to read about?

I subscribed to find information about past and future contests, to find
out how to improve my performance in those contests, and finally to learn
as much as possible about all the facets of contesting....new equipment
reviews, SO2R setups, new digital modes and their contests, and of course
how to make the most out of what the majority of us can do with what we
have to make things work better or more efficiently.  By majority I refer
to everyone with two towers or less, especially the dipole in the attic
crowd.  The last group can perhaps teach us the most!  If someone has the
grit to contest under those conditions--they must know a lot of tricks to
contact the ones that often get away.

I did not subscribe to read primarily about "lives of the rich and
famous".  Please no boos or hisses, I love to hear the big multi-multi's
and talk with the "big guns", and of course the ultimate patronizing
remark--->my best ham buddy is an op on one of those famous multi-multi
stations. However these stations should not be the focus of article after
article in "THE"CONTESTING magazine.  A focused piece on new improvements
and contributions to the "knowledge base" of contesting would be great, but
not a "WOW look at this" picture festival.  The picture festivals do 2
types of damage--one, they take up lots of expensive budget (color pix are
tough and expensive to publish) and two, they are not often very
educational or even entertaining (how many pictures of multiple towers with
several huge antennas do you want to see?).  What do you learn from each of
these pieces?  I was taught that unless I learn at least 3 new things from
each article in a journal type magazine it is a waste of my time and money
to continue my subscription.

This money from the publishing budget could provide a number of pages of
articles about other subjects.  I will not pretend to know what everyone
else is interested in, but certainly reviews about equipment and
accessories, perhaps used alternatives to new multi-thousand dollar rigs
etc., new and old computer programs involved in contesting, newbie articles
by the score etc.--add your own ideas here.

Here is the end...yes, I really like to look....but I paid to learn, and
have some fun too when I subscribed.

73 to all de KB8XU Frank

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com