[CQ-Contest] Network cables

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Thu Oct 4 18:25:24 EDT 2001

On 9/23/01 9:19 PM, Bob Naumann - N5NJ at n5nj at gte.net wrote:

>Regarding 100 vs. 10mb - the 10 mb is more economical and is certainly more
>than enough for a home lan environment.

Technically, 100 Mb Ethernet requires a higher qualify of cable (cat 5).
However, I have wired my house entirely with unlabeled 4-pair wire (I got
it surplus when a business re-arranged their offices and tore out all
their existing network and phone wiring). I run 100 Mb with NO errors or
dropped packets. Not even when I am transmitting. Note that I don't own
an amplifier, so that may help.

The price difference between cat 3 (10 Mb) and cat 5 (100 Mb) cable is
small. Wiring for 100 Mb gives you an option to upgrade.

The price of the network adapters (if your computer doesn't have built-in
support, which many modern units do), is under $50 for 10/100 Mb
Ethernet. You can't even buy 10 Mb cards any more -- they aren't worth
enough to sell. If you know someone who supports a big IT department, you
might be able to get 10 Mb cards for free as they swap them out of
services for 10/100 Mb.

Another alternative is to consider wireless 802.11b Ethernet such as that
available from Lucent, and remarketed by Apple, Farrallon, WaveLAN and
others. With no wires, it cannot pick up RF....

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com