[CQ-Contest] Network cables

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Thu Oct 4 18:28:44 EDT 2001

On 9/24/01 7:53 AM, andrew at andrew at gi0nwg.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

>With coax, if one of the *computers* dies, it does NOT impact the
>network.  I can quite easily disconnect the BNC T-piece from the network
>card of one of the machines (to simulate a dead machine) and the network
>for the other machines continues normally.  If one of the coax cables
>gets cut or damaged, that will severely impact the entire network as the
>link is cut and the two sectors that we now have are not terminated
>properly at each end.

Typically, it isn't the computer that dies, but the CONNECTIONS
surrounding the BNC T connector. I've seen lots of 10Base2 networks that
were really flaky. 10BaseT or 100BaseT works a lot better. Plus, you
don't need to worry about proper termination.

UTP is much easier to wire, and apparently has a great deal of rejection
of common-mode RF currents.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com