[CQ-Contest] Network cables

K9YO-Cedrick W. Johnson k9yo at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 5 21:59:18 EDT 2001

I agree with the comments of Bill, AA4LR...

<normal>
You can find a hub at your local computer "computerfest" or at a bargain
basement computer parts store for cheap. I picked up a used 16 port 10/100
hub for $15 at a copmputerfest. Invest in a network cable crimp tool, and
some connectors and wire up you some cat5 cable. You'll soon become popular
with your buddies who are also trying or want to build networks at home and
the tool will get further use.
</normal>

<adventurous and geeky>
Also, if you're adventurous like I am, you can try running fiber optics..
This is EXTREMELY more expensive, but you can have some cool bragging
rights as being the first person on your block to have a fiber optic home
network :)
And, since it's just a bunch of light travelling thru glass, the
interference possibilities are relatively low. Kink the glass however, and
you're in trouble :)
</adventurous and geeky>

Seriously... If you're looking to build a home network, at a computer
supply store here, I've seen 10/100 DUAL NIC's go anywhere from $10-30
With a lil scrounging, you can assemble (with relatively low cost) a 10MB
or 100MB network.

-Cedrick, K9YO

Cedrick Johnson, Amateur Radio: K9YO
NorilTech Consulting