[CQ-Contest] CQ Phone Test.

Jerry Flanders jflanders2 at home.com
Mon Oct 8 00:52:07 EDT 2001

At 10:13 PM 10/7/2001 +0100, you wrote:

>SNIP
>To put the risk you are taking into perspective; You have a 1 in 30,000
>chance of dying in an automobile accident in your lifetime, I bet you don't
>get in a cold sweat about going for a drive. Chances of dying in a plane
>crash is over 1 in 1,000,000, seem good odds to me!
>SNIP
>All the best  Colin GM0RLZ

Here in the states, we apparently use different math than you guys across
the pond.

Here, we lose about 45,000 people each year in car accidents out of 300
million of us. That is 1 person in 6700 that dies each year. Assume you are
exposed at that same risk for 67 years, and your odds drop to 1 in 100
chance of dying in a car accident in your lifetime.

See http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/ncsa/FactPrev/overvu95.html

Don't know about air travel.

Jerry W4UK

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com