[CQ-Contest] Feedline length

Tom Rauch W8JI at contesting.com
Wed Oct 10 12:53:49 EDT 2001

> > Using (2n+1)*L/4 would isolate dipole half  connected to coax shield
> > from the ground making balun redundant.
>
> >From my own bitter experience, that would be completely
> unreliable way of avoiding common-mode currents.
>
> 73,
>
> Sinisa  VA3TTN

The reason it is unreliable, is because:

1.) We often have no idea what the shack ground is like electrically

2.) The feedline is usually tapped to other cables or towers, or
routes within a few feet of other conductors or earth

3.) The feedline outside radiates or has significant power loss into
the surroundings, so it does not repeat the impedances every 1/2
wl or invert them every 1/4 wl even if we allow for the slower wave
on the outside caused by the surroundings.

So naturally the result is very much unpredictable.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI at contesting.com

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com