[CQ-Contest] CQWW Assisted discrimination

Tim Makins, EI8IC ei8ic at eircom.net
Sun Oct 14 16:14:27 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Norton KB8XU" <franknorton at home.com>
> Hello all,
> No Goran,most people are not "cheating" as u put it, many simply don't use
> spotting of any kind (other than their own scanning and band
> mapping).  Many of us have found that packet spotting is a waste of
> resources and time.  We have found our time better utilized by searching
> diligently for "the WEAK ONES" that others blow by and these certainly
> never get posted on a spotting net of any type.  Another vital
> point-->there really are a vast number of locations that only have
electric
> service 12 hours per day little lone a satellite internet connection.  We
> really need a single op unassisted, high or low power segment---simply
> because that is the reality for a very large proportion of hams.  Some by
> choice, but many by the very nature of their QTH or station ability.

Well said, Frank. And not all of us even have access to packet links. My
nearest station is not receivable at this QTH, and even if I did want to tie
up my one phone-line for 48 hrs, the service provider has software that
drops the line at intervals, even on a
'pay-once-for-as-much-as-offpeak-usage-as-you-like' account. Hams in the US
probably forget that in other countries, local calls are not free.

Tim www.qsl.net/ei8ic/ - a happy user of the SD contesting software, with no
packet support.

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com