[CQ-Contest] 160 band plan and contests

Tom Rauch W8JI at contesting.com
Mon Oct 15 11:15:41 EDT 2001

> Terry N4TZ notes that all (or most) of his 160 ssb contacts in recent
> contests did not seem to conform to the ARRL band plan.  The fact that
> the band plan doesn't conform to reality (real band activity) is
> simply because, the band plan was not determined by active contesters.

Hi Ron,

You may not be able to hear the activity on 160 like we do
stateside, and may not be aware of all the activity. Or perhaps you
do not operate enough.

Operation in the continental USA, Canada and even South and
Central America conforms to the bandplan for virtually ALL activity
on 160 meters. There are very few people who violate the band plan
in normal day-to-day activity, and it looks like the FCC is working
on the misfits.

It would be tragic to ruin the harmony that exists now just for one
weekend of pleasure, because there is really only one SSB contest
that even comes close to filling the band. Even that contest doesn't
actually fill the band, so there would be room to follow the
bandplan.

In all the dozens of contests where the bandplan is habitually
disregarded, there is plenty of room to follow the bandplan. The
problem is education, and being thoughtful to others.

There is PSK activity, CW QRP work, CW ragchewing, and CW DX
work that takes place all year long. I'm sure no one wants to ruin
everyone else's fun all year long for the sake of a few dozen
contests, most of which have very poor participation but through
lack of education by contest sponsors have operators who violate
bandplans!

Life does not revolve around any one particular narrow aspect of the
hobby.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI at contesting.com

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com