[CQ-Contest] WAEDC 2002 new rules

Zoli Pitman HA1AG ha1ag at compuserve.com
Tue Oct 16 10:43:33 EDT 2001

Ben,

> 1. Additional multipliers for EU participants

VERY NEGATIVE - This is obviously a favor to the southern and western EU
stations. With this change (de facto the US call areas) you kicked
the Scandinavians and East EU out of the race.

BTW, how are you going to convince the US ops to sign according to the area
where they are operating from ???

> 2. Splitting of the Single OP category into High and Low Power classes
> the 2000 contest has shown that more than half of the participants
> are already running low power.

>From my experience the statement of most of them must have been based on
their false understanding of the meaning of Low Power - i.e. Low Power is
not the power level what they FIND not high enough...

> 4. Abolishing the 10-minute QSY rule for Single OPs.

NEGATIVE - I accept that SO2R is the way to go and this change will rise the
QSO totals but... The reason I like(d) WAE because to be good in it, you
needed to THINK and not just operate. By allowing full-blown SO2R you
eliminate the need of a band-change strategy and degrade the contest to an
operational exercise.

> 5. Non-ambiguous definition of the Multi Single operation

Negative. This gives the M/S title to the biggest M/M who have the most
resources to run a full M/M. Until now they could be kept under control and
their tricks could have been checked and acted upon - see the DQ's in recent
years. I've already got a good idea how our eastern neighbours and their
eastern neighbours play M/S in WAE but having this rule in effect it will be
even worse for sure.

> 6. Credit for stations outside the contest
> Stations who are not taking part in the contest or do not send serial
> numbers, may be worked for both QSO and multiplier credit. They should
> be logged with QSO number 000.

Wasn't it always done like this?? :)

In summary, I do not see a single positive change here. After this years CW
event I exchanged lots of emails with Stefan DL1IAO upon the possible rule
changes in WAE. I concluded at the end of our discussion that the rules were
good as they were and should not have been significantly changed. I had
agreed with the idea of Stefan of a station-limited category (like the
Tribander section in WPX) instead of LP/HP splitup. (It would have been more
obvious if someone was declaring other than his correct class).

In conclusion (1) creates a very unfair scenario, (4) abolishes the need of
thinking and strategical band changes in SO, (5) creates a cheaters paradise
for MO's...  I think 2001 was my last serious WAE entry

Zoli HA1AG

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com