[CQ-Contest] 160m band plan and CQWW SSB contest

Michael Keane, K1MK k1mk at arrl.net
Tue Oct 16 10:32:44 EDT 2001

Right now my attentions are getting focusing on CQ WW SSB, a contest
in which same country contacts carry zero point credit. So hearing
anecdotal tales of misuse and abuse of 160M in various domestic
contests isn't providing me very much in the way of useful guidance.
I'm not concerned about what should be done in CQ 160M or SS or NAQP
or CQP or any other state QSO party. Personally, I'm be quite
content never holding a domestic SSB QSO, contest or otherwise,
below 1840.

I will try the suggestion that has been put forward: to call CQ above
1840 while listening split for DX callers below 1840. Although I still
can't help but be somewhat perplexed by the apparent contradiction
that it's somehow acceptable for me to solicit other station to
violate an international band plan if it helps to preserve my national
band plan. For instance each of the IARU regional band plans, like the
ARRL band plan, suggest that SSB operations be kept above 1840;
listening for DX below 1840 appears to put any EU or Caribbean station
responding to my CQ nominally in conflict with at least the IARU band
plans.

There is one scenario which I have not seen adequately addressed.
This scenario is a variant of the classical "Prisoner's Dilemma" in
game theory: in the upcoming CQWW SSB, when presented with a DX station
soliciting contacts below 1840 that doesn't "listen up" for the U.S.
what do I do? What will others do?

There's a fundamental conflict between what is a rational choice for
an individual member of a group and what is best for the group as a
whole. When should an individual cooperate, and when is it more
beneficial for a person to be selfish and not cooperate?

73,
Mike K1MK

Michael Keane K1MK
k1mk at arrl.net