[CQ-Contest] Re: K3NM/LU9AY 40M SSB FCC Fiasco

Mike Gilmer - N2MG n2mg at contesting.com
Wed Oct 17 07:39:13 EDT 2001

Well, it doesn't mean you can't answer him.  Only that
it becomes your duty as the "tranmitter" on that
frequency to verify that it's not already in use
(admittedly, "in use" is often in the eye of the
beholder).

Those guys *we* interfere with are likely using cloud-
warmer antennas or perhaps low power and are probably
not being heard by the DX when he selects his
listening frequency.  Something tells me that the DX
wouldn't really want to pick a frequency he thought
was in use.

It surely won't be as much fun anymore. (Is "40M SSB
fun" an oxymoron?)  In the past few years, I've been
as guilty as anyone of simply hitting the split key
(on CT, it's the minus sign) and punching in the DX's
receive freq and dumping my call.  That split key had
made operating 40m SSB split much more tolerable.  Now
it's gonna be harder.  Oh well.

73, Mike
n2mg at contesting.com

http://www.peoplepc.com