[CQ-Contest] CQ Asks Contesters to E-mail All Logs

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Wed Oct 17 18:24:02 EDT 2001

It's a bit late for those already en route to DX locations for NEXT
weekend's contest.

I have been e-mailing logs for contests for several years now, but last
year when I went to Barbados and made about 6500 QSOs (after dupes), I
couldn't get my e-mail log to go through, so I had to send in a disk
with the log file on it.  I am planning to go back to Barbados again
this year for CQ WW CW, but I don't see any point in spending $3,000.00
or so to give out a lot of QSOs and probably the only Barbados mults in
the contest and not to be able to send in the log.

Not everyone in the world or even the US has access to an e-mail system
at all, much less one that will handle a large log file.  As your
magazine and its committees have repeatedly said, it takes years for
changes in rules to be disseminated to all the participants in the far
corners of the world.

I doubt these contests will be very popular once this rule is known.

This is in no way to make light of your security problems.  I, myself,
am a Federal Judge, so I know something of your concerns.  Nevertheless,
there must be some other solution.  It is unfair to sponsor a contest
and to refuse to accept logs according to the rules that have been
published.

I understand a portion of your message to suggest that you will seek
another solution and I hope that will be successful.

If there are to be no exceptions and no other solutions, I would
appreciate your letting me know so I can cancel my plans and get some
type of a refund.

73,

John Laney, K4BAI/8P9HT.

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com