[CQ-Contest] Long Delayed Echoes

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Tue Oct 30 11:10:23 EST 2001

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 06:28:38AM -0600, Mark Beckwith wrote:

> Hi Tom - you related probably the 5th or 6th story like this I've heard
> since I started hamming.  In the 70s someone did an article on "Long
> Delayed Echoes" which reported on the reports, as it were, but drew no
> definite conclusion.
>
> My favorite explanations was UFOs.  :)
>
> I had a guy intentionally QRMing me in the California QSO Party in 1986,
> and one of his tactics was to record me and play me back on my frequency.
> THAT was WEIRD.

I heard something this weekend at N5TW that I think must have been a
recording of me played back over the air.  After one of my CQs ending with
"Norway Five Tango Whiskey," I heard my own voice respond with those
exact phonetics.  But it started exactly after I stopped, and it
wasn't like I only heard a portion of the "norway."  I can't swear that it
matched exactly the intonations, etc. that I used on that CQ, or that
it matched the voice keyer CQ.  It was reasonably loud.  If it had been an
echo, it would have been delayed almost two full seconds.  I figured at the
time that it was someone with a DVP recording my own voice and harrassing
me.  (Loud W5 contesters seem to get harrassed at fairly frequent intervals
during the contests, although it's usually carriers.)

But, I only heard it happen once.  So, who knows?

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences      VP, Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com