[CQ-Contest] Re: [Dx] Lets change phonetics

Joseph.Agius at sybase.com Joseph.Agius at sybase.com
Wed Oct 31 12:52:34 EST 2001

You might try pronouncing the zero as zaro (with a short a) to rhyme with
arrow.
This sounds international.
We say Zed for Zee - maybe for the same reason.

Joe

John Geiger <johngeig at yahoo.com> on 10/31/2001 12:22:47 PM

Please respond to John Geiger <johngeig at yahoo.com>

 To:       contest at qth.net, cq-contest at contesting.com,
           dx at qth.net

 cc:       (bcc: Joseph Agius/SYBASE)

 Subject:  [Dx] Lets change phonetics

During the CQWW SSB contest this past weekend, I was
again reminded of how much I hate phone contests
because I have a 0 call.  It seems like about every
third dx station here the 0 as Kilo, and says
"November Echo Kilo Papa, what is the number in your
call."  This gets old after a while.  As I see it, my
options are:

1. Buy stacked monobanders and a 2KW+ amp, and hope
that my signal is soooo LOUD that there is no chance
of error.  I like this solution, but my wife and
accountant say otherwise

2.  Since I now live in Five land, and have a Zero
call, apply for a vaniety call with a 7 in it.  Why 7?
 Why not?  The FCC does not require us anymore to
apply for calls within our mailing district.  Don't
like this option, as I just ordered 1000 QSLs with
NE0P on them, all my awards (expect for novice WAS)
has this call, and everyone already knows me by it.

3. Limit my operations to CW and RTTY.  THis is a
possibility.  Run mostly CW, and just getting on RTTY
and it is a blast, however, still like phone contests
and DXing when phone is required.

4. Enlist the aid of the ham community to start a
petition officially changing the phonetics for K to
something less confusing than Kilo.  THis is the route
I have decided to take, and could use your assistance.

By the way, where is the official department of
international phonetics and 10 codes located?  Geneva
at the ITU or Newington at the IARU?

73s John November Echo ZERO Papa

http://personals.yahoo.com

Your Moderator is Larry Wilson KE1HZ