[CQ-Contest] Re: [Contest] Lets change phonetics

W0EBA at aol.com W0EBA at aol.com
Wed Oct 31 16:01:54 EST 2001

Yes, I agree that their is a lot of world wide confusion in phone contests.
The "standard" phonetics were meant to prevent confusion -- WOW.

I have a devil of a time understanding alot of the calls especially with the
500 WPM speaking of some people.  Add to that some very strong accents and
there is trouble.

I get probably 10% of responses to me as Whiskey Four Echo Bravo DELTA.
ALPHA and DELTA apparently sound a lot alike when I say it.  Some of the
others I cannot even imagine why they come back with the weird combos of my
call.

Having just changed my call from WØEBA  to W4EBA caused an occassional
problem because WØEBA is in the CallDataBase but not W4EBA.  But having a
number that agrees with zone or section is sure helpful because Northern
Florida sounds like North Dakota to a lot of "wishers" for that section.

But this weekend it is on to SS CW so now if they can copy my computer
generated CW I am all set.

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com