[CQ-Contest] Nonstop 48 hours for SO on CQWW

Bob Wanderer aa0cy at VRINTER.NET
Sun Sep 9 21:36:00 EDT 2001

Because, according to the experts, the body's sleep cycles
come in 90-minute increments, you should take contest sleep
breaks in the same ratios.  I believe two increments should
be the minimum, for a total of 3 hours.  That seems to work
very well for me, and I'm on the wrong side of 50; although
I haven't contested, seriously or otherwise, for the past
three years.

There are some experts who say you can use
"half-increments," or 45-minute breaks or multiples thereof.

The effects of sleep deprivation and "jet lag" can be
mitigated somewhat by what foods and drink are consumed,
starting maybe a week before.  Caffeine is one of the
definite "no-no's," or at least should be used only toward
the end.  There are a number of books on the subject in the
library.  I believe they are in the 600 section.  This
subject has been discussed in NCJ and other ham radio
magazines, including (if memory serves) input from doctors
and researchers in this topic.

>From personal experience, JOLT COLA does not seem to work!

73
Bob AA0CY