[CQ-Contest] Re: [UK-CONTEST] "IR" cans update

Clive Whelan clive at gw3njw.fsworld.co.uk
Mon Sep 10 19:33:46 EDT 2001

 Clive Whelan wrote:

> That's the good news, now the bad news. It seems they are
> virtually useless for the purpose intended. What seems to be
> happening is that the input stage of the base unit is being
> overloaded even at quite low audio inputs.

Well I've started, so I'll finish ( sorry that's meaningful to
UK readers only!).

A suggestion from Dave/G4BUO, which I hadn't thought of, was to
hang a pair of conventional cans in parallel on the rx output,
to "quieten down" the audio. Sadly this didn't work.

Having seen that a number of folk were using Philips units with
success, I grabbed a pair of HV8350 at Argos for GBP39.99. I was
encouraged that the spec. made great play of having input ALC to
minimise overload.

Imagine my horror, when the base unit looked virtually identical
to the Thomson units, just a few cosmetic differences, and the
identical plug top PSU was employed, being made in China.

However there *is* a big difference, although I have to say that
it is not perfect by any standards. Now you must appreciate that
I am a fussy *%$!)^ about audio. I still think that my old Shure
444 is unsurpassed, but of course it's not a headset and it's
50K not 600 ohms. Mind you I draw the line at low resistance
speaker cables and gold plated connectors, but you get the
picture.

The Philips unit still does overload, and the attack time on the
input ALC, is not fast enough to prevent this ( have you ever
heard  a Drake 2B attack the AGC, awesome stuff from what,
1959?). My best guess is that the Sony device, and particularly
the Senheiser would solve this problem entirely, but I am not
looking to spend GBP100 on a pair of cordless cans.

There is now a real difference between the FT1000MP, which is
virtually acceptable, and the TS930S which is still marginal.
Overall on a scale of 1 to 10, I rate the Philips unit at 7, and
the Thomson at 2/3. Thus if you're going for 863Mhz cans ( or
whatever the equ. is in the U.S.) do ensure that they have input
ALC. A further point is  that I think I was wrong aiming for a
sensitivity of 105dB/mW or thereabouts. That would be good for a
pair of conventional cans for use with the FT1000MP ( the Yaesu
units are 102dB/mW) as I have found that good quality HiFi units
of 96 or 98 dB/mW are unusable with the FT. However I now
believe that 105B/mW or more is too sensitive for RF cans, and
leads to excessive danger of input overload, although as
highlighted earlier the top of range units may overcome this
problem entirely.

The encouraging news is that my earlier purchase ( Thomson
WHP540U for GBP 25 at Currys) is not a write off. The cans
themselves work with the Philips base unit, since the same UHF
channels are used, and the problem *is* with the base unit, not
the cans themselves. So I have a spare pair of cans, and this
will be necessary for contest operation, as the stated battery
life of the Philips is only 15 hours. Thomson do not specify
battery life, but I cannot imagine it is any better.

Although I am not 100% happy, the compromise is probably now
acceptable, as I am fed up tripping over the long lead, and
pulling a million interconnections off in the middle of a
contest. Also as a *real* single operator, it will be great to
go the kitchen ( and bathroom!) while keeping tabs on the band.

If anybody is flush enough to shell out for the Senheiser unit (
RF65 I think, GBP100 at Maplin) I will be interested to hear the
results.

Hope the above may save somebody frustration and unnecessary
expense.

73

Clive

GW3NJW