[CQ-Contest] Re: CQ Contest Digest V4 #310

Doug Smith W9WI w9wi at w9wi.com
Mon Sep 24 00:02:13 EDT 2001

> From: tony field <ve6yp at shaw.ca>
>
> Considering the relatively high level of
> RF energy used in ham radio,
> is there any advantage / disadvangage of
> using twisted pair cable or coax within
> a contest station (or a normal home ham
> radio network)

I've tried both, and haven't had any RF problems with either technology.
In fact, I'm using unshielded twisted pair with absolutely no RFI noted.

(the big RFI generator here has been a poorly-shielded keyboard!)

A coax-based network doesn't have to go down when a computer is removed -
that's why T connectors are used.  That said, coax is essentially obsolete,
you're going to have a hard time finding network cards that support it.

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com