[CQ-Contest] Network cables

andrew andrew at gi0nwg.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Sep 24 13:53:22 EDT 2001

With coax, if one of the *computers* dies, it does NOT impact the
network.  I can quite easily disconnect the BNC T-piece from the network
card of one of the machines (to simulate a dead machine) and the network
for the other machines continues normally.  If one of the coax cables
gets cut or damaged, that will severely impact the entire network as the
link is cut and the two sectors that we now have are not terminated
properly at each end.

With CAT5 (twisted pair) a cut cable would only impact that one machine.
Then again, if a hub were to die on a CAT5 network, you lose that entire
network segment, which for most hams would be the entire network......

Basically, take your pick, though BNC type network cards and RG58 coax
are cheaper in this country (they nearly give the BNC cards away) and
I've had zero RF problems with them.

Andrew Williamson GI0NWG / AC6WI
Homepage = http://www.gi0nwg.freeserve.co.uk/

One of the ZL9CI gang