[CQ-Contest] What RF voltage OK at Rx in SO2R?

k8cc k8cc at mediaone.net
Wed Sep 26 00:15:42 EDT 2001

While the circuit G4BUO described will most certainly protect the receiver
front end, it will also likely have the nasty side effect of generating
spurious signals all over the spectrum.  When the diodes conduct from the
RF coming in the antenna, the spurious signals are re-radiated out the
antenna.  If you live out in the country (as I recall Dave does from my
visit to his QTH in 1990) perhaps this is no big deal.  In a suburban area,
I would think that every time you transmit you'd wreck every television, or
amateur, over a wide area.

Back when I first got going at this QTH, I had a 2L 40M quad switchable
NE/SW using a relay on the tower between the loops.  When the quad was in
the default (relay relaxed) position, there was a S9+20dB harmonic on
14.200 (not even the band of the quad!) which absolutely disappeared when
the quad was switched SW (relay actuated).  The problem turned out to be a
diode across the relay coil to protect against "flyback" transients when
the relay was de-energized.  The 300' of twisted pair control wire from the
shack to the relay picked up enough RF from a 10 KW BC station *three miles
away* on 1420 KHz to generate a *tenth* harmonic on 20 SSB.  It also caused
the only two TVI complaints I've ever had from this location in fifteen years.

Don't use diodes to protect front ends unless you're also going to have
filtering to stop the spurious signals generated.

Dave/K8CC

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com