[CQ-Contest] eQSL change of policy

Jim Idelson k1ir at designet.com
Thu Apr 4 23:00:33 EST 2002

>If you think this is a step in the wrong direction, then what would you have
them do? And how would you make it work? It's easy to criticize and assign
blame. You don't care for the solution? Then what would you do?<

No problem, Ron. I would implement the electronic QSL system in a manner that
mirrors the existing paper QSL system. That system would permit a QSL to be
issued unilaterally by one station and received by the other. This is what we
have today in the paper world - and while not perfect, it works. In fact, it
works so well that DXCC continues to be the most prestigious and popular award
program in amateur radio. If it were tainted by significant problems with QSL
credibility, it would not hold this lofty position after nearly 65 years.

I certainly agree with Ted - security needs to be built into the program, and
to me that includes making these unilateral QSLs theft- and copy-proof.

However, if there is a desire to increase the rigor in QSL requirements for
DXCC and other awards, such a decision and discussion should be taken up by the
DXCC team with significant input from those involved in the DXCC program. It
should not be implemented via an end-run by the QSL technologists.

The current approach might be great for the dedicated, web-savvy, hard-core
DXers among us; but it is not going to be particularly attractive to the
newcomers and casual operators that dominate our ranks. The requirement to
upload electronic logs in order to receive QSLs will filter out thousands of
potential users.

Instead, every ARRL member with an email address should automatically begin to
receive electronic QSLs. Totals for all awards should be tracked on-line for
every member. All this should be user-configurable at the ARRL website. This is
the way to drive acceptance and rapid adoption.

Want to ensure that confirmations of rare DX QSOs are harder to forge? Put
special requirements on certain DXpedition logs, extremely rare countries, etc.
But, please don't introduce log transcription or upload requirements just so we
can see the QSL for a 20M DL QSO.

The right way to do this is to start by web-ifying the process we have today,
learning from the initial experience, and finally, make changes that need to be
made - based on sound reasoning.

That's what I think.

73,

Jim Idelson K1IR