[CQ-Contest] NS3T's "witch-hunt"

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Fri Apr 19 09:28:47 EDT 2002

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 ki9a at aol.com wrote:

> #2 & #3,"unique" spots, inactive calls, blah,blah,blah.
>
> Is this really going to make or break contesting?
>
> DO THE RULES STATE YOU NEED TO USE YOUR OWN CALL TO PUT *INTERNET*, yes, INTERNET spots up??
>
> This thread needs to stop. BTW, I do not condone using "fake" calls for spotting, but, I'm sure there are better things to talk about than this BS.
>
> Again folks, you don't need to correctly ID on the internet spots, errr, maybe they changed the rules? Maybe I will spot guys during the next contest using the word MOE or CURLEY instead of my own call, I'm sure NS3T will drive himself nuts trying to figure if MOE is still active? ;-)
>
> 73-Chuck KI9A

What happened to SHEMP?  :-)

I agree; this whole thing is pretty much pointless.  No one is going to be
able to prove anything out of it; possibly some of the stations who in
fact did only spot one callsign once during the contest will be offended.
And what constitutes an "inactive station"?  Who decides that?  I would go
through the effort of contacting each and verifying he/she wasn't in the
contest and didn't spot anybody before making such a broad statement.  And
again, it's going to be difficult or impossible to determine and prove who
did make the spot if it was with a fake callsign.

I only made about 10 QSO's during WPX SSB because I lost my voice due to a
virus.  I didn't send in a log.  I may have spotted somene during that
time; does that make me a suspected villain? Does that make me an
"inactive station"?

Let's discuss something else.  Who's going to be in the TARA PSK Rumble
this weekend?

73, Zack W9SZ