[CQ-Contest] Consider This

Leigh S. Jones kr6x at kr6x.com
Tue Apr 23 22:33:51 EDT 2002

Frankly, from your first sentence this last message
from you shows a misunderstanding of my post.

"cause and effect"

One can show that there is a statistical relationship between
higher scores and SO2R.

I'll not deny that.  It's going to be a fact.  You'll see that the
average SO2R score is considerably higher than the
average single rig entry.

But to equate the score difference between single rig entries
and SO2R entries to the advantage to be gained by going to
SO2R shows the intent to use statistics to deceive.

In a double-blind test I'm confident that it could be
demonstrated that the average top 20 entrants in any
contest could benefit from adding SO2R capability or
alternatively would suffer a score reduction if his SO2R
capability was eliminated.

But the score difference would be only a few percent, and
for many operators that are less motivated and/or less
capable than the average top 20 entrants there could even
be a significant score reduction resulting from the fatigue
that sets in within several hours of the beginning of the
serious SO2R operation.  For this significantly large group
of operators, the effort required to get the most out of a
station with SO2R capabilities will tire them until they
become somewhat befuddled, and will begin to operate
inefficiently.  They'll often lose run frequencies they'd
otherwise have controlled or become impatient and
angry whenever they run across duplicate contacts.
The second receiver will distract them until they miscopy
exchanges that they should have received.  SO2R will
cause all but the very best operators to drain their
mental capacities until they struggle to do the
things that would have been easy for them.  They
just can't keep up the pace.

With the average modern new transceiver price being
around $3500-$5000, the modern competitive amplifier
new price $2500-$4000, and the  remaining hardware
required to go to full SO2R around $500-$1000, the
price of adding SO2R capability to an existing station
can range between $7500 and $10,000.  Admittedly,
it can be done for less.  But most competitors see the
investment as being better spent on improving antennas.
If budgetary constraints are included, then a double-
blind test would probably show that the decision to go
to SO2R results in significant score reductions.