[CQ-Contest] Consider This

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Thu Apr 25 11:53:08 EDT 2002

On 4/24/02 12:33 AM, Leigh S. Jones at kr6x at kr6x.com wrote:

>With the average modern new transceiver price being
>around $3500-$5000, the modern competitive amplifier
>new price $2500-$4000, and the  remaining hardware
>required to go to full SO2R around $500-$1000, the
>price of adding SO2R capability to an existing station
>can range between $7500 and $10,000.

Horsepucky.

You don't NEED a NEW transceiver for SO2R. A second-hand radio will do
just fine.

You don't NEED an amplifier for SO2R. If you don't like going barefoot,
even a modest amplifier will provide some cover.

You need some switching, perhaps some filtering, and a second tranceiver.

You can probably add SO2R capability to an existing station for
$500-1000, easily. Maybe to $1500 if you insist on having an amplifier.

If you've already got $10,000 in your station (for the first radio and
antennas), another $1000 isn't much.

Me? I can't afford a $10,000 ham station.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901