[CQ-Contest] Re: Consider This

Doug Smith W9WI w9wi at w9wi.com
Thu Apr 25 12:49:14 EDT 2002

> Although I may be wrong, I suspect, just like the
> difference in total score, the effect of SO2R on
> frequency occupation is less than some imagine.

*Something* has affected frequency occupation.  It's most blatantly obvious
on 10 meters during CW and mixed-mode contests, when you have people CQing
as high as 28.250.  Before SO2R, it was rare (at least in my neck of the
woods) to hear anybody above 28.100 except a Novice or two.

I suppose it's concievable increased activity in Eastern Europe and/or the
AM/SSB intruders are responsible for this.  I doubt it - there aren't that
many of either.
I fear K8MR is right.  I've seen situations where I've gone 5-10 minutes
without a QSO in a domestic SSB contest because *everybody* was CQing on 75
- there were no "holes" for a new CQer - and after tuning the band over and
over, literally everybody CQing is a dupe.  What's the answer?

- Keep listening to dupes hoping a hole opens up?
- Keep CQing on a dead 20, 40, or 160m band, knowing it could be 10-15
minutes before you get any answers?
- Find a weak station and start CQing, knowing you'll be able to hear
callers through him?
- Start CQing on 75m 3 hours before sunset to ensure you'll have a frequency
when 40 dies?
- Switch to 2m and start DXing on 146.52?

I contest for fun, and #5 is the only one that sounds like fun to me...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66