[CQ-Contest] The Purpose of Contest Categories

Nat Heatwole nat at ajheatwole.com
Fri Apr 26 17:14:43 EDT 2002

I've been on this reflector a while now and I've noticed that the SO2R
debate tends to be cyclical. It starts when someone complains about SO2R
or SO2R operators, the new category debate starts up, the mud is slung,
and it ends when people get tired of the thread. I usually don't
participate in the SO2R debate but I think it's about time I said
something as I'm getting sick of the ignorance surrounding it.

I've come to realize after watching the hundreds of posts about SO2R on
the reflector over the years that a lot of people don't understand why
there are different categories in contests. There is a methodology to
it, believe it or not. Contest categories are intended for one or both
of the following reasons:

1. To distinguish between a different numbers of operators and/or
simultaneous transmissions (ie. M/S, M/2, M/M).
2. To correct for elements that will produce an INHERENT unfairness or
advantage.

Look around, all contests have this scheme to their categories. However,
many don't realize what an "inherent unfairness" is. Here's the
definition:

-INHERENT UNFAIRNESS (def): any advantage in a contest that is mutually
exclusive of operator skill and station location where the *mere
addition* of a particular element or aspect increases an operator's
score.

In other words, adding a component that *in and of itself* increases
your score is an inherent advantage. Components of this nature include
amplifiers, as turning on an amp gives one an inherent advantage even if
one's operator skill was to remain constant because amps give the
ability to break pileups more easily, it "opens" the band earlier, and
CQing becomes much easier. All of these will increase one's score
independently of one's operating skill and QTH.

If you have operator A and he turns on 1500w as opposed to previously
running 100w and his operator skills remains the same under both
scenarios his score will be inherently higher with 1500w because of the
above reasons. Therefore 1500w is an inherent advantage over 100w and
that is why power categories (QRP, LP, HP) exist.

Some have brought up the packet issue, the fact that there is a separate
category for this. This is necessary because of #1. Because more than
one operator is (indirectly) contributing to a station's score an
additional category is appropriate and necessary.

The SO2R category controversy is fueled by that fact that 1) many people
have never really operated SO2R and 2) many people don't understand how
SO2R works. It *DOES NOT* provide an inherent advantage. Actually, when
everyone tries SO2R there score go DOWN initially, some for long periods
of time. In other words, it's the antithesis of an inherent advantage;
it's an inherent disadvantage. And because only one operator and one
transmitted signal at any time is present there is no justification for
a new category. In order to profit from SO2R operating one must work at
it a LOT over many contests and over many years. In other words, they
must develop operating skill surrounding it; just adding another radio
has no inherent advantage.

If a new category were to be created for SO2R it would:
1. Discourage creativity and innovation in contesting.
2. Discourage operators from investing time, money, and effort in their
stations.
3. Discourage competition.
4. Discourage operators from advancing their operating skill.

Any one of those four (let alone ALL four at once) will kill contesting.
Yes SO2R is an advantage, just like operating skill is an advantage, but
it is an *acquired* advantage not an inherent advantage and therefore
not unfair to possess. Also, there's the question of how to define SO2R
as well as the onslaught of new categories if we were to separate SO2R
from SO1R. Take CQ WW for example. If we made SO2R a new category in CQ
WW there would be 42 new categories:

SO2R AB QRP
SO2R AB QRP (A)
SO2R AB LP
SO2R AB LP (A)
SO2R AB HP
SO2R AB HP (A)
SO2R 160m QRP
SO2R 160m QRP (A)
SO2R 160m LP
SO2R 160m LP (A)
SO2R 160m HP
SO2R 160m HP (A)
SO2R 80m QRP
SO2R 80m QRP (A)
SO2R 80m LP
SO2R 80m LP (A)
SO2R 80m HP
SO2R 80m HP (A)
SO2R 40m QRP
SO2R 40m QRP (A)
SO2R 40m LP
SO2R 40m LP (A)
SO2R 40m HP
SO2R 40m HP (A)
SO2R 20m QRP
SO2R 20m QRP (A)
SO2R 20m LP
SO2R 20m LP (A)
SO2R 20m HP
SO2R 20m HP (A)
SO2R 15m QRP
SO2R 15m QRP (A)
SO2R 15m LP
SO2R 15m LP (A)
SO2R 15m HP
SO2R 15m HP (A)
SO2R 10m QRP
SO2R 10m QRP (A)
SO2R 10m LP
SO2R 10m LP (A)
SO2R 10m HP
SO2R 10m HP (A)

You think CQ is slow at returning certificates and plaques now, just
imagine. And CQ WPX (for example) would be even worse as it includes
several categories not found in CQ WW, notably rookie (R), band
restricted (BR), and tribander-single element (TS). I don't have the
energy to type all of those new SO2R categories out and neither does CQ
(one reason why they haven't adopted a SO2R category).

And another thing. Any activity discouraging SO2R means that less people
will operate SO2R. And when less people operate SO2R that means
*EVERYONE'S* score goes down because less total QSO's will be made in
any given contest. That's just what we need in contesting, less Q's.
That's the problem that has nearly killed SS several times.

People who want a new class for SO2R don't understand SO2R and/or
they're confusing it's acquired advantage with an inherent advantage.
When you discourage innovation and skill, contesting ends. If you don't
like SO2R don't operate it. If you do not wish to advance your operating
skill through that avenue (like K3ZO), if instead you wish to acquire it
other ways that's great. But don't complain about others who chose to
acquire it that way and don't segregate these individuals into their own
category just because you don't like their (acquired) skill advantage.

KQ2M beats the *&%$ out of me in every contest due (in part) to his
excellent, highly refined operating skill of which SO2R is one and only
one component. Do I claim he has an advantage, ABSOLUTLY! But it's not
an unfair one, it took him years to acquire and he still claims to be in
the process of perfecting it. I'm happy for Bob. I don't wish him to be
in another class just because he undertakes ventures that increase his
operating skill. That's what radiosport is about and Bob is what all
contesters should strive to be.

If you like SO2R operate it. If you don't like SO2R don't operate it.
But if you chose not to operate it, don't claim it should have it's own
category because that's NOT WHY categories exist. Only when this is
understood will the cyclical SO2R debate finally end.

73, Nat, WZ3AR
<nat at ajheatwole.com>