[CQ-Contest] Using a Bogus Check

Leigh S. Jones kr6x at kr6x.com
Sun Apr 28 19:49:16 EDT 2002

I've been struggling over this one for the past two days.  Here's my
answer:

If I were asked this question by the sponsors of the SS, I'd probably
suggest that a liberal interpretation of the rules was in order.  I'd
probably
take the attitude that it doesn't really matter to me whether someone
used
his real check or some other number.

If I were beaten by one contact in a contest where the leader took a
liberal interpretation and sent 55 on CW where his real check was 01,
I would probably not complain bitterly and suggest that the leader be
disqualified for violating the rules.

But if I were the sponsor of the contest and I received a complaint
from
a second place operator who might have been in first place but for the
liberal interpretation that the leader took, I'd be forced to
interpret the
rules strictly, no matter what my personal opinion was.

So here I am, not in the position of a sponsor, but in the position of
friend being asked for advice prior to the contest while you still
have
choices.  Honestly my best advice as a friend is that you should avoid
being challenged by second place; make certain you follow the strict
interpretation of the rules so that you will never be put in the
embarrassing position of being disqualified for such a pitifully tiny
issue.

KR6X