[CQ-Contest] New DTA databases, your help needed

k9tm k9tm at buckeye-express.com
Fri Aug 2 10:30:11 EDT 2002

The logs have started rolling in... thanks!

...and so have the questions.  I have responded to everyone privately
(thus far) but would like to put a sort of FAQ list out here.  So here
goes...

Q) Do you only want CQWW logs?
   A) NO.  We want all types of logs.  WW is just one contest.
      Any contest is fine.

Q) Why only cabrillo
   A) Well since most all contest sponsors require cabrillo (or strongly
want) and
      it has been around long enough now that software writers have had
time to
      make it part of the package or write a post conversion program...
it really
      helps tasks like this (and log checking).

Q) Since you do log checking for the ARRL you already have my 160 or 10
log, just use it.
   A) While it is true that Dave and I do log checking for the ARRL, we
can NOT use the
      logs submitted to the ARRL.  Why?  Because the ARRL does not want
them used for
      anything other than log checking.  That is their decision and Dave
and I abide by it.
      Please send your logs again as described in the earlier post for
inclusion into
      the database.

Q) How do you get rid of bad calls?
   A) There are several techniques used.  While we try our best through
software and
      human inspection... things still happen.  Garbage-in, Garbage-out
still sort-of
      applies.  We hope to filter through things and come up with a
quality database.
      We were pretty successful last year and AD1C did it for years
before us.

      BTW, I added a step to take out known bad calls that may have made
it through.
      If you have specific bad calls in mind or have found some in prior
databases,
      please send me a note with those calls and I will add them to the
list.
      Note that you don't have to send OE5OSO (really OE5OHO), that call
inspired
      this method.

Q) My logs are small, are they still useful?
   A) Yes, all logs are useful.  You don't have to be multi-multi,
multi-single or
      multi-anything.  All logs help.

Q) Do I need to mark the logs differently by contest (dx -vs- domestic,
etc)?
   A) Nope, the tools do all the work for me (well most of it).

If other classes of questions come in, I will update this list.

73 Tim K9TM