[CQ-Contest] but are YOU really

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Tue Aug 6 13:03:38 EDT 2002

K4OJ wrote:
>Data exchange is not operating, IMHO. That's what the internet is for!

        Well said Jim.  When contesting or DXing becomes nothing more
than exchanging data between our computers, everyone being 599+ with
no more effort than plugging their laptop into their telephone jack,
then this hobby is dead for me.  You only need to look at some of
the spots and talk messages on the OH2AQ Webcluster to see that we
are getting close today.  Take a look at the VHF spots especially:

                http://oh2aq.kolumbus.com/dxs/144.html
                http://oh2aq.kolumbus.com/dxs/430.html

I'm not picking on these guys but here's just one of many examples:

PD2DB    432200.0 CQ70CM      WHO?                        CT1551 04 Aug
DH9NFM   432200.0 F5SMZ       jn39(>jo50                    1555 04 Aug
PD2DB    432200.0 DH9NFM      Chris tis me jo22md         DL1559 04 Aug
DH9NFM   432200.0 PD2DB       jo22(>jo50 495km tnx marcus   1604 04 Aug

When you can make a realtime sked using the internet, make "2-way QSO's"
without either operator actually having heard the other using WSJT at
VHF or QRSS at VLF, and then "confirm" it realtime, I personally have to
question what the point is.  This just reminds me too much of nets (and
prompters on the low bands) where "2-way" QSO's could never have been
made without the assistance of a third party.

        I maintain that contests are one of the few areas left in our
hobby that have not been corrupted by stuff like this, but this is why
fewer of us know how to S&P without a Packetcluster screen in front of
us.  Everyone can be 599+ with no radios or antennas necessary if we
push this to the extreme.  A monkey with a computer connection (there
already may be a few on this reflector IMHO) can be equally loud as
anyone else.  Dumbing down using computer-to-computer QSO's is simply
the next logical step until we next decide not to bother with radios
and antennas at all.  When we reach that stage, I'll be long gone.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  I wonder what W1CW thinks about computer-to-computer QSO's?