[CQ-Contest] Fun

Ward Silver hwardsil at centurytel.net
Wed Aug 7 21:50:27 EDT 2002

> Funny how the course of this thread changed from "which mode is
technically
> superior?" to "which mode is most fun?" I think it has been demonstrated
> that PSK31 wins hands down in the technical superiority challenge but I'd
> have to agree it falls dreadfully short on the fun-to-do scale. (I mean,
> really, how can anyone contest the superiority of a mode that allows full
> copy on signals that you can't even hear?)
>
> 73, kelly, ve4xt

Exactly.  Contesting is NOT about which mode gives the most 'reliable
transport'.  In fact, the more reliable the transport mechanics, the less
opportunity for the operator to get involved and make a difference.  If I
want high-rate reliable transport, I'll use TCP/IP over fiber.  If we're
talking about Health-and-Welfare emergency traffic, I'll take an
error-correcting mode with zero requirements on the operator.

Contesting is fun precisely because it's hard enough that there is no
guaranteed winning strategy and has enough variability that the game is
always different.  By increasing the reliability of the communications, the
amount of variability, and thus, the fun, is reduced.

73, Ward N0AX