[CQ-Contest] Re: What Is a Contact?

Doug Smith W9WI w9wi at w9wi.com
Mon Aug 19 12:42:35 EDT 2002

(If you get QST and you haven't already read the cited VHF column, you
should.  It really may be more relevant to HF contesters than to VHFers -
while I don't agree with everything he writes, there's plenty of food for
thought.)

> From: "M.Sivcevic, VK4DX" <radio at stelex.com.au>
>
> The thing is that FCC rules apply only to the USA, not the rest of the
> world.

True, but contest sponsors are free to impose any additional rules they
wish, above and beyond FCC rules, and apply them to all participants
regardless of country.

IMHO adding such a rule in all contests would be a good thing.  It already
exists in the Sprints and I don't see anyone complaining.

During a DXpedition, it is simply annoying to have to listen to a station
for 5 minutes before he IDs.  During a contest, it is exceedingly
discourteous to the callers.  At least the ones who are serious participants
in the contest.

"Contest OOs" are another issue.  Actually I think that's a good idea too.
Everybody knows there are stations out there doing things they should get
disqualified for, but the chances they *will* get DQ'd are essentially zero.

It would not be easy to implement, especially on CW where anyone skilled
enough to catch violations would probably be participating in the contest.
It might be worth discussing though.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66